PACE: Paraprofessional Accelerated Curriculum in Education
Enabling Teacher Assistants to obtain a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education
The PACE program at Belhaven University allows you to enroll as a full-time student while maintaining your teacher assistant position. Designed specifically for Teachers Assistants, PACE enables you to complete 12 hours of teacher education credit in one semester at night while working as a Teachers Assistant during the day. Each semester is comprised of two 8-week sessions, in which you will take two education courses (6 credit hours per 8 weeks). When you enroll in PACE, you will progress through the program in cohort groups until all your education requirements have been met, and you can use your teacher's assistant position to complete all internship requirements for your K-6 teaching license. This unique opportunity helps you complete your Elementary Education K-6 degree and acquire knowledge and skills that will benefit you as you lead your own classroom.
Students who have not passed Praxis I and who transfer in fewer than 40 credit hours will be enrolled in the Pre-PACE program to satisfy the prerequisites for the PACE program.COURSE DESCRIPTIONS COURSE SCHEDULE
Elementary Education K-6 Core Requirements
|Course #||Course Name||Credits|
|Worldview Curriculum 401||3|
Areas of Concentration
A student must select two (2) areas of content study with a minimum of eighteen (18) hours in each area. Core courses may be counted toward areas of concentration.
(5) Social Studies
(6) Safety/Health/Physical Ed.
(7) Fine Arts
(8) Special Education
PACE Program for Teaching Assistants:
The PACE program allows you to enroll as a full-time student while maintaining your teacher assistant position. Designed specifically for Teachers Assistants, PACE enables you to complete 12 hours of teacher education credit in one semester at night while working as a Teachers Assistant during the day. Admission requirements are as follows:
1. COMPLETE the APPLICATION for Admission
2. PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION
- Letter of Employment as a Teacher's Assistant from your school principal or district office.
3. SUBMIT TEST SCORES
- Official test Scores. (Either, ACT of 21 or higher (no sub-score lower than 18), or SAT of 860 combined math and reading, or Praxis I passing scores according to the state of Mississippi standards.)
- Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) scores (scores on all subtests must meet Mississippi licensure requirements). P.A.C.E. students do not take the Praxis II Subject Assessment Test for admission requirements to the P.A.C.E. program. See PraxisTest Information.