PACE: Paraprofessional Accelerated Curriculum in Education
The PACE program at Belhaven College, now Belhaven University, allows you to enroll as a full-time student while maintaining your teacher assistant position. Designed specifically for Teachers Assistants, PACE enables you to complete 12 hours of teacher education credit in one semester at night while working as a Teachers Assistant during the day. Each semester is comprised of two 8-week sessions, in which you will take two education courses (6 credit hours per 8 weeks). When you enroll in PACE, you will progress through the program in cohort groups until all your education requirements have been met, and you can use your teacher's assistant position to complete all internship requirements for your K-6 teaching license. This unique opportunity helps you complete your Elementary Education K-6 degree and acquire knowledge and skills that will benefit you as you lead your own classroom.
Students who have not passed Praxis I and who transfer in fewer than 40 credit hours will be enrolled in the Pre-PACE program to satisfy the prerequisites for the PACE program.
|Worldview Curriculum 401||3|
Areas of Concentration
A student must select two (2) areas of content study with a minimum of eighteen (18) hours in each area. Core courses may be counted toward areas of concentration.
(5) Social Studies
(6) Safety/Health/Physical Ed.
(7) Fine Arts
(8) Special Education
The PACE program allows you to enroll as a full-time student while maintaining your teacher assistant position. Designed specifically for Teachers Assistants, PACE enables you to complete 12 hours of teacher education credit in one semester at night while working as a Teachers Assistant during the day. Admission requirements are as follows:
1. COMPLETE the APPLICATION for Admission
2. TRANSFERRING CREDITS
- Submit official transcripts from each college or university attended. You may make copies of the transcript request form provided. We will submit that to all colleges/universities you have attended and pay for the transcript request fee for you. See Transferability of Credit Notice.
- A minimum of 44 credit hours of the core general education requirements as specified by the PACE program curriculum.
- Minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA in undergraduate course work
- A veteran who wishes to be assessed for military credit or who will use veteran benefits must submit a copy of Form DD214 and/or DD295 to Belhaven University.
3. PROVIDE DOCUMENTATION
- Letter of Employment as a Teacher's Assistant from your school principal or district office.
4. SUBMIT TEST SCORES
- Official test Scores. (Either, ACT of 21 or higher (no sub-score lower than 18), or SAT of 860 combined math and reading, or Praxis I passing scores according to the state of Mississippi standards.)
- Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) scores (scores on all subtests must meet Mississippi licensure requirements). P.A.C.E. students do not take the Praxis II Subject Assessment Test for admission requirements to the P.A.C.E. program. See PraxisTest Information.
5. INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- All international students whose native language is not English must present an acceptable score of at least 450 paper-based, or 45 internet-based on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A student with a TOEFL score of 450-524 or iBT score of 45-70 will be required to take English as a Second Language courses before beginning their program of study. If a student scores 525 or higher or a 71 or higher they will not be required to take English as a Second Language courses. Exceptions to this requirement will be considered for students presenting strong verbal scores on the SAT or ACT, or if students provide other evidence of English proficiency acceptable to the University. In registering for the TOEFL, note the Belhaven TOEFL code number is 1055. All international students must provide an official guarantee of funds (Affidavit of Support) for the first academic year of attendance. Medical Insurance is also required.